Thursday 28 March 2013

Interview series for Good Friday, the lovely Sally Matterson


Today on the OC Fitness Interview Series we have yet another Aussie female trainer, Sally Matterson. I came across Sally's work after following Clean Health out in Sydney and was impressed by her work ethic and online presence in the social media scene. She always puts out useful information, walks the talk and I think you will find this interview one of our best! 
Walks the talk...

Can you give us a bit of background about you and your business?
I started in the industry a little over 10 years ago now and have developed training systems that encompass my 10 yrs of experience. I have experienced what works & what doesn’t and have literally seen hundreds of bodies transformed before my eyes using these training systems.
My business is located out of one of the most reputable fitness franchises in Australia, Anytime Fitness and I have used the opportunity to grow these systems by having a team of trainers that can implement them. This has been an awesome venture as now I can touch and educate a greater amount of people to train and eat the right way and not waste their time in the gym.

What’s your inspiration for doing what you do?
Well let’s start by telling you the day I had – I had 6 re-assessments today and the total weight loss between them was 27 kgs along with 29% Body fat.
Is that enough inspiration!? I love helping people and I could not think of a better job than being someone’s guide to better health.

How did you get into it?
After always being fit and healthy as a kid I came to Sydney from the country in pursuit of a big dream in fashion.
I realised that I was the most stressed out, unhappy and unhealthy I had ever been in my life and I knew to get happy again I needed to get fit. From that moment on fitness not fashion was the ultimate career for me. Although funnily enough I am looking at producing a line of fitnesswear in the near future so it’s amazing how some things in life can work their way around when the timing is right. 

What’s the most important factor in your own development as a professional?
To continually expand my knowledge, research and education. To be able to pass this onto to other trainers and more importantly to the greater community is my ultimate goal as a Personal Trainer. I want to bridge the gap between ”fitness model or bodysculpting” and “average gym goer” who is looking to change their body shape for the better

Who is your clientele?
I feel we deal with a niche clientele. Sure we can help someone that is overweight or obese and they will get an awesome result following our principles however our systems are a lot more cutting edge than just the calories in calories out combined with thrashing yourself on the treadmill mentality.
I see the brand SMPT as a lot more cutting edge than this. We can take a female or male that is in reasonable shape and make them look exceptional! Now that is what we are about! Actors, media personalities, models, presenters, singers and athletes have all used our systems and been very happy with the change to fitness and physique.

Sallys first comp vs now...


What is your method? How do assess your client’s needs?
Goals are the first thing we address, which for most is to feel better and look better.  Then we undergo an assessment that covers nutrition, programming and bodyfat to lean muscle ratio. The whole package to ensure their needs are being meet.
Ongoing support through forums and online coaching are also available.

Where do you go from there?
I am developing our brand to have more online activity. I recently had enquires from Germany and most recently Canada so I need to help these people achieve their goals also. The only way is to make the programming and nutrition aspects as interactive as possible through the use of presenting to camera.

Do you deal with all aspects of your clients? Nutrition, Training, Psychological?
Absolutely. We find sometimes the head is the thing that stops us the most from achieving our goals. We regularly assess or clients goals to make sure they are staying on track.


Training session out of Clean Health in Australia.

What do you say to clients/athletes who aren’t making progress as quickly as they would expect?
Be encouraged to keep going. Things do not happen overnight but if they stick to plan it will! If you have had years of incorrect training and nutrition it takes a long time to undo these things.
A lot of people say I want to look like you”” and I say ”be careful what you wish for” in other words it is hard work there are no short cuts and it takes years to get good muscle development that’s why it needs to be a lifestyle change. But if you are determined to change the results will follow.

Do you specialize in a particular area?
6 & 12 Week Body Transformations

What do you think is the biggest mistake females make generally when embarking on their quest to a bikini body?
Doing endless cardio and not enough resistance training that will really change your body shape

Who are your favorite top 5 experts in fitness and strength in the world?
Charles Poliquin the foundations of our systems are built a lot on Poliquins principles. Very well researched and you only have to put them into practice to know they work.

Daine Mcdonald (my old coach and director of Clean Health a mentor of mine who has taught me a lot about the business and training)

Amanda Latona Not sure of her expertise but damn I want her booty!

Michelle Bridges for her ability to impact a nation, her content is very mainstream but it has helped a lot of overweight people find health again which at the end of the day is what’s most important

CT Fletcher is a motivational personal trainer with tough love. His content is brilliant.

What are your top 5 nutrition tips for females looking for a lean physique?
Find out how much protein you should be eating
Invest the money in pharmaceutical grade supplementation that helps with stress and aid detoxification
Dark leafy greens
Eat good Fat to burn Fat
Enjoy your rewards when you have them!

Sally's explanation of Biosignature, a great tool for fat loss or muscle mass gains.

Your favorite 5 exercises?
Deadlift, Front Squat, Split Squat, Chin Ups and Behind the neck Shoulder Press

Top 5 tips for ensuring results?
Muscle Activation with correct technique – the 2 go in hand!
Correct Nutrition & supplementation
Correct Programming
And the right attitude!

How could big conglomerate gyms of today improve?

More FREE advice on how to lose fat! I hate people wasting their time and I am passionate about getting the truth out there!

What’s next for you and your business?

As above online development

I am developing our brand to have more online activity. I recently had enquires from Germany and most recently Canada so I need to help these people achieve their goals also. The only way is to make the programming and nutrition aspects as interactive as possible through the use of presenting to camera.

Last one:

What’s the motto you live by….
“Make lifting become your healthy addiction and watch your body shape change”

Thanks so much for reading guys and girls, hopefully Sally's interview will inspire you and has give you more information with which to use! 

Also if you have watched Sally's explanation on Biosignature we offer this service too at OC Fitness, just drop us an email ollie@ocfitness.co.uk and we'll sort out a consult!

Heres Sally's links








No comments: